If you're wondering how to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Hostgator for your hosting needs may be your answer. Hostgator is a great web host and is great for getting your blog started.
Blogging has been one of the best things ever for me. It helped establish my career in education and helped me become a recognized expert. Now, I'm taking my blogging to the next level and creating another full time income (plus some) on the side, which anyone can do with hard work and effort.
My goal is to be able to work when I want, help the people I want to help, change the face of education, and help build a better work for my daughter and every other child coming into this world.
Anyone can make money with a blog, and I was able to make the money back that I paid for blog hosting very quickly. It is well worth it to pay for blog hosting and I'm sure you will be able to make your money back quickly as well.
Hostgator is one of the top web hosting companies in 2018 and you can start your own blog with them for as low as $2.75 a month (this low price is through my link only)! Also, if you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer hosting plan (a $15 value). I highly recommend signing up for the
You may be thinking, “Well I can just start on Blogger for a little cheaper and learn how to make a blog that way” NOOOOO… Don't do that. There are so many reasons for why a Blogger/Blogspot blog is a really bad idea, and why you should instead
If you are interested in ever making money off your blog, freelancing or turning it into a business, then paying for your hosting, such as through Hostgator, is a MUST. It's extremely cheap as well to go through Hostgator AND you get a free domain. You can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. with a blog ran on Hostgator. Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in many cases never happens. Most advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs, so that’s another big reason to use Hostgator.
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Hostgator for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. These reasons include:
- It's easy to use. Yes, ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily with my tutorial below. Hostgator makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- Hostgator web hosting offers technical support.
- Hostgator is extremely affordable and they offer cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $2.75 per month.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Hostgator is FREE.
- Hostgator offers a guarantee in case you determine that it is not for you. If you sign up for Hostgator, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and so on if you are self-hosted on Hostgator than being on Blogspot.
First, you will need to head on over to Hostgator to do any of this. There are many web hosting companies out there, but Hostgator is honestly one of the best. There is a reason why many bloggers choose Hostgator for their web hosting needs.
If you plan on starting a blog on Hostgator and you are interested in learning how to start a blog on WordPress, continue below. Remember, if you sign up for Hostgator, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That's what I'm here for so don't be afraid to send me an email.
How to start a WordPress blog on Hostgator
1. Register your domain name
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a blog, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do when starting a WordPress blog on Hostgator is to think about what you want your domain name to be. This can be tough, and I would give some serious thought to this.
I remember EXACTLY how I came up with my blog name. An old friend of mine came up with a play on my name, Mike Paul, and walked up to me one day and said, “Hey, let's all go down to the Pike Mall!” Weird, yes. Did it stick? You bet. However, choosing that name has come with its own set of problems. Trying to spell out my blog name to people who don't know about it can get frustrating because they don't know what I'm
You can get your domain directly through Hostgator and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Hostgator web hosting. This makes it well worth it to sign up for at least 12 months of hosting as you will be saving a good amount of money this way. You'll also get a cheaper monthly price when you buy at least 12 months of hosting, so the free domain makes it even better. If you want an even better deal, the best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run. If you decide to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
The “Hatchling” plan is most likely all you will need.
2. Buy hosting for your blog.
Setting up a WordPress blog on Hostgator is very easy. First, we will talk about the costs of blogging:
- To receive the cheapest price to start a blog, then choosing the “Hatchling” plan is really all you need. It's only $2.75 per month through my link (due upfront in full) if you sign up for 36 months, which is a great price. If you sign up for a
24 monthplan, then the price is $3.95 per month. If you sign up for a 12 monthplan, then the price is $4.95 per month. $4.95 is still extremely affordable and it's a great plan to choose (especially since you get a free domain at this price still!). If you are unsure about blogging, I would sign up for the 12-month plan as this is still a great price and very affordable for one year of blogging. If you purchase a 12-month plan, your total price is only $59 a year, which is still a great price. Plus, you still receive the free domain name when you sign up for 12 months or more which saves you money. The best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower in the long run.
- The Hatchling plan is all you really need, for now, so skip the Plus and Business Pro plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to (and just pay the difference), so there is no need to sign up for extra that you do not need.
- Other than the above, you do not need the other items that Hostgator sells, so I would uncheck any of the extras that are listed.
- Remember, if you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12-month or longer blog hosting plan.
I want to reiterate why you should purchase at least a 12-month hosting plan. Month-to-month is less effective, and I highly recommend signing up for a minimum of 12 months for many reasons. By signing up for a minimum of 12 months, you will receive a free domain name, lower pricing, and you won't have to deal with an expired website after each month. For example, if hosting is not renewed or if the card expires, then your website is down and you risk losing business (visitors/traffic) when you pay on a month-to-month basis. It's also exceptionally more expensive to pay month-by-month rather than in one lump sum. The more years you sign up for, the less you pay.
Blog hosting will most likely cost you around $59 a year on average, or $99 for 3 years, which is a great deal! If you purchase a 12 month plan, your total price is only $59 a year, which is a great price. The best value would be purchasing a 36 month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Hostgator and click the “Learn More” or “Buy Now” button.
- Click on the package you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
,you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it's secure as this information is very important.
3. Connect your domain and your hosting.
Note: You can skip this section (Section 3) if you buy your domain directly through Hostgator.
If you buy your domain through Go Daddy, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Below is a snippet:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name's nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
If you registered your domain name with another provider, you can still purchase a hosting account with us, use our Off-site DNS services, or use our CashParking® or Quick Content services. If you do any of those, you must view your nameservers in your account with us, and then set the nameservers with your domain name registrar.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Hostgator for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.hostgator.com; ns2.hostgator.com.
You will then need to add the domain you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an addon domain to your Hostgator web hosting. You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Hostgator web hosting account and then clicking on “assign.” Follow the steps and it is very easy!
4. Install WordPress on Hostgator
Okay, this is probably the step that all of you have been waiting for. If you want to start a WordPress blog on Hostgator then continue reading.
This part isn't hard at all. Hostgator makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
- After you create your password, Hostgator guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog.
- First, Hostgator will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it's not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step. Remember, there are many free ones too!
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it's up to you. Or, you can click the “I don't need help.”
WOOHOO! You now have a WordPress blog. You will have to work on the design and producing high-quality content, of course. Good luck!
If you sign up for Hostgator, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That's what I'm here for so don't be afraid to head over to my contact page and reach out.
Some general tips for how to navigate WordPress:
- You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in.
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
- You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
- If you are looking for a way to send newsletters or emails to your readers, I recommend
- If you are looking into the actual design of your blog, Studiopress creates some of the most popular and well-designed themes for WordPress. I've used their themes for years on many different sites, and I highly recommend them. Or, there are free themes through WordPress you can use too. Just go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side when you are logged into your WordPress website and click on “Themes,” then activate whichever one you are interested in testing out. By doing this, you can start designing your website easily!